This Quick Write is all about the 8 great gripes. You can write about one particular gripe, or a combination of gripes. You may have a personal connection, whether it’s with yourself, a family member, or a student. Remember, the goal of a Quick Write is not to worry about spelling and grammar (although it should be readable). Rather the goal is to write your initial honest reactions to the prompt. When the timer goes off, you will have one minute to wrap up your thoughts.
Now that you’ve watched the four movies (Great Gripes Movie #1, Great Gripes Movie #2, Great Gripes Movie #3, Great Gripes Movie #4) that highlight the 8 greatest gripes of gifted kids, it’s time to reflect on those challenges and respond. Here are the 8 great gripes:
- No one explains what being gifted is all about – it’s kept a big secret
- School is too easy and too boring.
- Parents, teachers, and friends expect us to be perfect all the time.
- Friends who really understand us are few and far between.
- Kids often tease us about being smart.
- We feel overwhelmed by the number of things we can do in life.
- We feel different and alienated.
- We worry about world problems and feel helpless to do anything about them.